The Abbey Road Neighborhood
The homes at Abbey Road are carefully sited to take advantage of a gently sloping site, sun exposure, and the scenic backdrop of mature trees. The homes are interconnected by walkways and footpaths, dense perennial gardens, and generous stone patios. The community shares a common lawn and stone terrace with a fire pit and vine-covered pergola. A separate pocket-park provides a space for outdoor grilling, alfresco dining, and a community herb garden. Parking for visitors and residents is discretely located within a separate parking court, while nature paths lead out to Sherborn’s historic center.
- Explore Abbey Road below by clicking on the various units and amenities -
The common lawn is a circular grass area shared by the community, bordered by shade trees and perennials. A stone path along the perimeter connects to each home and individual front porch.
Pergola and Fire Pit
Located at the northern edge of the courtyard is the vine covered pergola and fire pit. This area offers residents of Abbey Road a place to come and engage with their neighbors, relax under the shaded trellis, or have a glass of wine by the fire pit.
The outdoor kitchen is a smaller shared "pocket-park" equipped with a gas grill, antique wood dining table and community herb garden. Residents can dine alfresco while entertaining larger gatherings.
History of the Site
Abbey Road will be constructed on the grounds that were the site of the Joseph Sanger House (circa 1800). The site now has two historic structures, the Dowse Memorial Library, and The Parsonage. The Library was built in 1914 by William Bradford Homer Dowse, who donated the building to the town in memory of his parents, so that it be used and maintained by the Town of Sherborn as the free public library and the basement would house the Sherborn Historical Society. At the same time, Dowse built the adjacent stucco house for his sister, Deborah Dowse Coolidge, who was a Sherborn school teacher, historian, and town librarian. After her death, the house served as a parsonage for Pilgrim Church. In 1988, the site and buildings became the home to The Peace Abbey, an interfaith organization committed to the study and practice of nonviolence. Founded in 1988 by Lewis Randa, the Peace Abbey has been visited by a number of high profile peace advocates, including Mother Teresa, Maya Angelou, and Muhammad Ali.
Built in 1914, The Dowse Memorial Building, originally housed Sherborn's Library. Constructed of Flemish bond brick and limestone, the building is an example of the Jacobean architectural style. The building is T shaped in plan, with a grand barrel vaulted ceiling on the interior, and classical limestone columns signifying the main entrance foyer. The "Library" is being meticulously restored and brought up to todays modern energy standards. For more information on this single family residence, please inquire for availability, floor plans, finishes and pricing.
Directly adjacent to the restored Library is the Parsonage. Built around the same time as the Library in 1914, the building is an example of Edwardian Style architecture, inspired by the English country houses designed by Sir Edwin Luytens. Rectangular in plan, the Parsonage will house two townhomes, built with modern finishes, with the back looking over the garden courtyard. For more information on these townhomes, please inquire for availability, floor plans, finishes and pricing.